rtl8139 - detection and installation of two

Hi

I am setting up a firewall based by Debian 3.0 Woody and an old Pentium 133
with two rtl8139 NIC's.

Please notice that these are my observations from a 'top-down' perspective.

Only the first card was fully installed as eth0. After fruitless attempts I
installed Slackware 8.1 which detected the cards as rtl8139 and rtl8139-e
(from memory). It too wrote about irq conflicts.
I reinstalled Woody based on the eth1 card and everything was fine. Then I
reinstalled with both the cards and found the irq conflict in the dmesg file.

I have now switched the eth1 card to one on via-rhine so I may be on my way.

Is it possible that the detection algoritm is confused by not two equal
the different card positions.

regards
guran
--