libapache-mod-auth-pam hates me

One of my webservers (using testing) is having problems since the advent of
Sarge.  libapache-mod-auth-pam no longer works.  Nothing in my Apache or
pam.d/httpd config has changed.  auth.log now shows this when a valid
user attempts to log in with a valid user/pass:

	PAM_unix[NNNNN]: authentication failure; (uid=NN) -> user for
	httpd service

>From /etc/apache/access.conf:

	<Directory /var/www/stuff>
	  Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
	  AuthPAM_Enabled on
	  AllowOverride None
	  AuthName "Private Area"
	  AuthType "basic"
	  require group stuff
	</Directory>

/etc/apache/httpd.conf:

	LoadModule pam_auth_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_auth_pam.so

This config worked for months prior to the woody release just fine.
I've found no mention of a similar bug anywhere.

How can I debug this further?

/p