Re: error: dpkg-preconfigure, make, binutils not configured properly

On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 12:29:38PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Robert Hood, Ph.D. wrote:
> > I upgraded to testing (I saw an enthusiastic "I don't know why everyone
> > isnt using this!" and well...)  I'm not sure how I managed to do this
> > (sigh) but now whenever I try to install a package I get an error:
> >
> > dpkg-preconfigure: BEGIN: command not found, qq{: command not found, use:
> > command not found.
>
> Well that's mighty strange. Do you have perl installed on this system?

I had similar problems when I treid to upgrade from potato to woody.
The installation of perl got totally hosed.  This basically made it so
I couldn't install anything, since a lot of pre/post scripts use perl.

Only later when I actually read the docs did I learn that you have to
upgrade dpkg, apt, and a few other packages to the version in woody
before doing a complete upgrade to avoid such problems.  I would guess
this wasn't done in this case.

Rather than try to fix it by hand, I started from scratch, wiping my
partitions and all.

dd
--
David Dooling