Re: Woody get frozen

Thus spake Jerome BENOIT:

> Nick Jacobs wrote:
> >
> > Woody is obviously not ready for release. If you have
> > urgent serious work to do, you should be using Potato.
>
> I am ready to believe you and to retrograde to Potato,
> but at the Debian official site we can read
> "This distribution [Woody] is currently in the ``testing'' phase,
> but stabilizing and close to being ``frozen''."
> ( http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/ ).
>
> What does "close" mean here ?
> > >
> > > My fresh Debian/Woody (two processor) computer
> > > experiences freezing
> > > when I want to launch jobs as building a new kernel,
> > > computing funny stuff with Maple 7,...
> > > To restart I have to to reset.
> > >
> > > To quickly solve it, I have tried different kernel
> > > (2.2.19;2.4.14,2.4.16),
> > > but it still freezes.
> > > And I urgently need it to make huge computations.
> > >
> > > Any idea ?
> > > Is it Woody really on the edge to be frozen ?
> > > How can we figure out the problem ?
Woody has 'frozen' which means that no new packages are being accepted
into the distribution, but bugfixes and some ironing out has to be
done before release (I think - somebody correct me if I'm wrong,
please).  To go back to your original problem, Woody should not be
locking your box up if it's set up decently.  Assuming that you don't
have something really strange going on with the software, and this
occurs with both 2.2 and 2.4 kernels, I would say look at your hardware
- run memtest and that sort of thing.
HTH,
Steve
--
The man who sets out to carry a cat by its tail learns something that
will always be useful and which never will grow dim or doubtful.