Re: RFD: Separate mailing list for users running testing?

tluxt <tluxt@yahoo.com> writes:

> --- paulwade@greenbush.com wrote:

> > > Thank you for your suggestion! :)
> > >
> > > I do not think this would be a good idea, though, because:
> > > 1. It introduces a new variable/item ("beta") which is not in:
> > >    "testing unstable woody sid"
> > >    which adds to the confusion level.
> > > 2. I often find "beta" to be generally used inaccurately or
> > >    _very_ loosely.
> > >    Technically (IMHO, IIRC) it should refer to something
> > >    which is past alpha, and before gamma
> > >    (at least as how I understand it to be applied to product/software
> > >    development & testing).
> > >    In the case of debian woody & sid sw, there is no clearly defined
> > >    meanings of "alpha" "beta" and "gamma" wrt debian sw,
> > >    so using that term without a solid definitional foundation
> > >    would be undefined, and thus nonexplicit,
> > >    resulting in lack of clarity in readers minds.
> > >    Definitely less clear than "testing" "woody" "unstable" or "sid" are.
> > >
> > > Valid?  :)
> >
> > It would be extremely valid if we didn't have the word testing used to
> > denote a distro branch and also a group of people trying to help push that
> > distro in the right direction.
>
> I don't think that makes my reason remains invalid.
> But, I do acknowledge that there is the problem you point out.
>
> > That's why I suggest the use of the beta
> > word. I do agree that sometimes the contents of testing or frozen might be
> > considered rather un-beta. If we had something else online at those times
> > that is halfway between testing and stable we would have a much stronger
> > argument for not referring to testing(or frozen) as beta. I say use the
> > beta word and forget about trying to rate it on a scale of 1 to 10. The
> > people on this new list are not users of stable or unstable, the extreme
> > ends of the spectrum.
> >
> > Another benefit is that those users will have a polite four letter word to
> > use when referring to the distro flavor :)
>
> Actually, the more I think about what such a list should be about,
> and what it's name should be, the more I think we should have two lists:
>
> debian-woody-user
> debian-sid-user

What may be good, even though I really don't know how it could be done
or even if it can be done.  Would to have a similar aliasing logic as we
have with releases, that way, we could have all of:

-debian-user-woody (or -woody-user)
-debian-user-sid (or -sid-user)
-debian-user-potato (or -potato-user), which would be also the same as
 debian-user to mantain backward compatibility.
-debian-user-stable.  For now, same as debian-user-potato, would
 change to refer to -user-woody when it becomes stable.
-etc.  You get the idea.

We could even have debian-woody-dev, debian-unstable-dev, etc. for
even more generality.

The idea is to have something similar to the way the sources.list file
can work right now.  That is, if you want to stick to stable (whatever
actual release that is) you can put stable in the sources.list as the
release of choice; but if, say, you want to permanently stay on the
bleeding edge no matter what, you can choose to download from unstable
(whatever codename it has at the moment), all without touching the
sources.list.

This way, you could stick to whatever distribution you chose and you
wouldn't have to change list subscriptions when stable changes (if you
want stable and you have only the list with woody or whatever in the
name),  and the same goes for the case you want to track woody (and
then you have trouble if you get the other scheme: stable, testing or
unstable in the list name).

Also, you can have a lot of granularity in the choosing of issues you
want to hear about.

jorge santos