Re: RFD: Separate mailing list for users running testing?

--- paulwade@greenbush.com wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, tluxt wrote:
>
> > --- paulwade@greenbush.com wrote:
> > > Why not use the word beta in the new list name? That applies to frozen or
> > > what we are wishing would be frozen. Some combination of the words debian,
> > > user and beta would work and it won't sound like debian-testing at all.
> >
> > Thank you for your suggestion! :)
> >
> > I do not think this would be a good idea, though, because:
> > 1. It introduces a new variable/item ("beta") which is not in:
> >    "testing unstable woody sid"
> >    which adds to the confusion level.
> > 2. I often find "beta" to be generally used inaccurately or
> >    _very_ loosely.
> >    Technically (IMHO, IIRC) it should refer to something
> >    which is past alpha, and before gamma
> >    (at least as how I understand it to be applied to product/software
> >    development & testing).
> >    In the case of debian woody & sid sw, there is no clearly defined
> >    meanings of "alpha" "beta" and "gamma" wrt debian sw,
> >    so using that term without a solid definitional foundation
> >    would be undefined, and thus nonexplicit,
> >    resulting in lack of clarity in readers minds.
> >    Definitely less clear than "testing" "woody" "unstable" or "sid" are.
> >
> > Valid?  :)
>
> It would be extremely valid if we didn't have the word testing used to
> denote a distro branch and also a group of people trying to help push that
> distro in the right direction.

I don't think that makes my reason remains invalid.
But, I do acknowledge that there is the problem you point out.

> That's why I suggest the use of the beta
> word. I do agree that sometimes the contents of testing or frozen might be
> considered rather un-beta. If we had something else online at those times
> that is halfway between testing and stable we would have a much stronger
> argument for not referring to testing(or frozen) as beta. I say use the
> beta word and forget about trying to rate it on a scale of 1 to 10. The
> people on this new list are not users of stable or unstable, the extreme
> ends of the spectrum.
>
> Another benefit is that those users will have a polite four letter word to
> use when referring to the distro flavor :)

Actually, the more I think about what such a list should be about,
and what it's name should be, the more I think we should have two lists:

debian-woody-user
debian-sid-user

These names are very precise and clear.
And, I think they would benefit the Debian community by allowing
a more focused forum than the current debian-user, for any person desiring such.

(Someone (I have no desire for this currently)
might wish to propose the creation of:
debian-woody-tester
debian-sid-tester
)