Re: new here

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 08:33:48PM +0200, Jesus Climent wrote:
> I just read the call for help and here I am. I have been using linux for
> already 5-6 years and started using debian few weeks ago. AMAZING!
>
> So that's why, after some years around redhat and mandrake I want to
> colaborate with the testing of woody.

Great :)

> I am going to use a testing system to update from potato. I think it
> would be _really_ nice to have a "upgrade/install report" form, so i can
> "check" the boxes that I have been using to install/upgrade. Like:
> You used for starting the system:
> [ ] install.img
> [ ] root.img
> [ ] pcmcia.img

At the moment there isn't, really. There was something similar for hamm
(2.0) but I don't think there's been anything since (for either slink
(2.1) or potato (2.2)).

Probably a good start would be making one, I guess. Here's a start:

	SYSTEM:
		Architecture: [i386, m68k, alpha, etc..]
		Processor: [Celeron II 800MHz]
		Memory: [128MB]
		Disks: [5GB SCSI, 20GB IDE]
		Other: [...]

	INSTALL METHOD:
		[CD, from cdimage.debian.org dated 2001/04/12]

	REPORT:
		[Well, I stuck the CD in and pressed some buttons and
		 then my house caught on fire and all my family and
		 friends died]

	SUMMARY:
		[All in all, I don't think it was very effective]

	PROBLEMS:
		[apt said "The Cows! The Cows!" and proceeded to fiddle
		 with my BIOS to overclock my CPU which then caught on fire.
		 Already reported as bug #101374]

One problem we have at the moment is we just plain don't have any
boot-disks for woody, so it's not actually possible to test an install. :(

We also have major changes to apt, perl and debconf about to come out (ie,
in the next few days), so we're not quite ready for serious testing.

Hopefully we will be in a few weeks: you'll definitely know when it
happens.

If people would like to maybe experiment a little with upgrading from
potato -> woody, or doing potato installs and seeing what sort of things
they think need to be in install/upgrade reports...

If someone wants to start putting a FAQ/HOWTO together about testing
Debian that'd probably be pretty cool. Using the "script" program to
log all the output from an apt-get dist-upgrade might be a good hint,
that maybe people don't know about, for example...

Cheers,
aj