Re: 2.1 upgrade to 2.2

On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 11:46:40PM -0700, Matthew Thompson wrote:
> That's when I discovered that the network-related files in /etc/init.d had
> changed considerably.  A quick question about this.  I really hope this
> doesn't sound snippy, or like I'm stepping over the line, but can someone
> familiar with the new networking setup drop a quick note or maybe point me
> to a document describing the advantages?

Details about the changes should be in /usr/doc/netbase/README.Debian, man
ifup, man interfaces, and appear during configuration of the new netbase.
For a change, there's no lack of documentation about how networking is
meant to work.

Other things this fixes are:
	* spoof protection is now easy to configure even for 2.0 kernels
	* forwarding is asked about, rather than left to the admin's devices
	* default setups (as made by boot-floppies) work correctly with
	  both 2.0 and 2.2 kernels and without ugly warnings
	* portmap and inetd have obviously named init.d scripts
	* networking can be easily shutdown as well as started up in most
	  cases

ifup/down (and hence some of the other changes) also make DHCP and
IPv6 and other things easier to support, and more straightforward to
admin. IMHO, anyway. In a couple of weeks or a month or sometime, the
woody versions will also become a lot neater, again IMHO, in ways that
are only possible thanks to a... "simpler" networking setup. Splitting
/etc/init.d/netbase also helps with splitting up netbase, which I suspect
I'll do sooner rather than later, and will trim down the base system
a little.

You can, of course, just ignore most of those changes if you prefer the old
way.

Cheers,
aj

(netbase maintainer)

I don't speak for anyone save myself. GPG encrypted mail preferred.

                                      -- Dave Clark