Problem: libc6 package in frozen damaged?

Hi,

I did a dist-upgrade on a 2.1 machine yesterday and I am now left in a
weird state as the libc6 package appears to have a problem in the
libc.preinst script.  Apt complains that it returns with an error 139
and the script only contains a dpkg statement (no exit, no nothing).

Package is:

libc6_2.1.3-4.deb

dated Feb 21 on ftp.uk.debian.org (but this is poss. an artifact of
the mirroring script).

I have tried the following mirrors:

ftp.uk.debian.org
ftp.de.debian.org
http.us.debian.org

and they all have the same faulty package.

Please help, this was meant to be a production machine :-)

Arrigo