2.1.6 install OK except for X

Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDT, 32MB RAM, installed from {resc,drv}1440.bin
floppies 2.1.6, base over NFS (over Xircom PCMCIA Ethernet), rest
(std_workstation) over FTP via apt.

It installed very easily and with no real problems. The following are minor
issues:

1) The boot disk doesn't announce its version number (2.1.6).

2) The boot disk date is 01/30/99 (on the release notes screen) - could this
be 1999-01-30 please, or at least have a four-digit year?

3) The PCMCIA script (/etc/pcmcia/network ?) gives errors about fgrep and
ifuser not found, and also said "card services release does not match".
Nevertheless, everything installed perfectly.

4) I got messages about asclock (recommended by wmaker) conflicting with
afterstep <= 1.4.5.3-1, which I solved by deselecting afterstep.

5) I got many messages saying Could not read /etc/mailmap (update stopped)

6) a2ps complained about missing /etc/papersize

7) I got many messages about /usr/sbin/installdocs line 627 ignoring unknown
format 'ps' (or 'info', 'texinfo' etc).

8) It Emacs byte-compiled elib three times, although I deselected emacs19 and
xemacs and just installed emacs20.

When I got to X, however, it was more painful.

1) I tried to install the VGA16 server, but it wouldn't let me configure it
because it couldn't find XF86Setup. If I told it I didn't want to run
xf86setup, it went OK.

2) twm wasn't installed by default, so XF86Setup wouldn't run.

3) XF86Setup claimed some READMEs were missing, but then ran OK.

4) After running XF86Setup, I got 'expr: syntax error'.

5) On each boot, I get 'rm: /var/run/xdm.ok._0 not found' as xdm starts.

6) Because I'd configured it for a SVGA server (which XF86Setup handled quite
happily) but hadn't told it I wanted SVGA as the default (it didn't ask me)
it couldn't boot with my dot clock and the VGA16 server and went into an
infinite xdm screen flash loop. This is highly unfortunate - couldn't xdm
detect five starts in ten seconds and quit?

7) Some typos (e.g. 'Starting xfs sever' when booting).

It's now up and running happily.

Ian Redfern (redferni@logica.com).