Re: kernel problem... ?

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:27:48 -0500, "Terry Katz" <katz@advanced.org> said:
> I know this wouldn't be the proper list for this question, but if
> anyone can help me, please let me know .. (I just started getting
> this 'kernel' message and crash after installing slink ... I don't
> know if thats a possible cause, or just a coincidence)

Any kernel oops is by definition a bug in the kernel.

> After running 'w' this occured .. it seems as though my /proc fs is
> not there anymore (mounted, but everytime I try to access it the
> login crashes .. )  From the second line, it looks like a problem
> with the second cpu ?

> Again, the system was fine before installing slink .. I don't know
> if thats the cause though..

> (btw, I'm running v2.1.132 of the kernels .. the system has been
> running fine for a month prior, with this kernel)

That is wierd.  I would read Documentation/oops-tracing.txt in the
kernel source tree and see if you can't unwind the stack of what's
happening, and perhaps report it on the linux kernel lists?

This is list mostly for Debian 2.1 release testing.  But of course, if
it is a condition in the slink distribution that triggered this kernel
bug, we'd love to know about it.  I believe a comittment for slink is
2.2 compatability.