Re: Debian v2.1 ("Slink") Deep Freeze

On Tue, Jan 19, 1999 at 08:04:32AM -0500, Brian White wrote:

Comments apply to the forthcoming -9 release.

> Also, the following packages will hold up the final release because of
> release- critical bugs against them.
> xbase             30852  X packages do not upgrade automatically due to name change.

This is handled by the new xbase pseudo-package (see elsewhere on
debian-devel, mail from Ben Gertzfield).

Package: xbase
Architecture: all
 Between Debian 2.0 ("hamm") and 2.1 ("slink") the XFree86 packages were
 extensively reorganized; this package exists solely to smooth the
 transition for people upgrading from Debian 2.0 or earlier.  Once it has
 been installed it may be removed at any time; it contains no programs,
 libraries, or documentation.
 For the technically curious, this package exists solely to declare
 dependencies on the packages among whom the old xbase package's files were
 distributed.  The new packages are auto-selected by apt or dselect as a
 result, and the X Window System is properly upgraded.
Section: oldlibs
Depends: rstart, rstartd, twm, xbase-clients, xdm, xfree86-common, xfs, xlib6g,
 xlib6g-dev, xmh, xproxy, xserver-common, xsm, xterm

The X font packages should not be a problem with apt-get dist-upgrade.

Package: xfonts-100dpi
Architecture: all
 xfonts-100dpi provides a set of bitmapped fonts at 100 dots per inch.  In most
 cases it is desirable to have the X font server (xfs) and/or an X server to
 make the fonts available to X clients.
Conflicts: xfnt100
Replaces: xfnt100
Provides: xfnt100
Depends: xbase-clients
Recommends: xfs | xserver

> xdm               29360  xdm: Stopped X without warning/asking

See my message to this bug.  The old xbase prerm is the problem here;
this is an issue for the release notes.  The other points raised in the
release noted are fixed in my current test build.

> xlib6             31610  xlib6: requires gcc but declares no dependency (dpkg --print-gnu-build-architecture?)

Apparently the dpkg command above is the wrong way to get the string I
want.  Marcus Brinkmann has offered to fix this one for me (applies to
xlib6, xlib6-dev, and xlib6-static).

> xserver-common    29166  xserver-common: should depend or at least recommend properly ver'd xlib6g

I have moved xinit (and thus startx) from xserver-common to xbase-clients,
so this no longer necessary.  Nothing in xserver-common depends on the X
libraries, which was the original intent of the package.

XFree86 is available at
http://master.debian.org/~branden/xfree86/ .

G. Branden Robinson              |        Yesterday upon the stair,
Debian GNU/Linux                 |        I met a man who wasn't there.
branden@ecn.purdue.edu           |        He wasn't there again today,
cartoon.ecn.purdue.edu/~branden/ |        I think he's from the CIA.