lilo config segfaults in 2.1.4

I tried a slink install on a new computer with NT and DOS installed.
All went well upto the point
  "Make Linux bootable directly from the harddisk"

This one returns to the mono/color screen. No questions asked, just on
selecting that item from the main menu.

| Quotes from the net:  L> Linus Torvalds, W> Winfried Truemper               |
| L>this is the special easter release of linux, more mundanely called 1.3.84 |
| W>Umh, oh. What do you mean by "special easter release"?. Will it quit      |
* W>working today and rise on easter?                                         *