Re: xterm and xterm-debian

Gudmundur Ragnar scripsit:
[...]
|The default way should be - compatible with the rest of the world.

Yes, I would second that.

|Asking about things like this - is already making the install
|complicated for us mortals. There are lots of things that
|could be handled by writing to one common "things to look at file"
|(in mailbox format). You most often do not have time to ponder
|when you are just trying to upgrade / get the system working.

Well, we have to be careful not to tread on people's toes. For
example, having been told that the new xterm is not XFree86's xterm I
can see why they have a different one. I also notice (cf. my other
message on visual bell turning into an automated reverse-screen) that
it is not entirely bug-free. For example I *cannot* allow an xterm
which flips into reverse mode when you press ESC a few times in vi
loose on the network.

This is surely something which we wouldn't want to release with 2.1 in
its final shape or do we?

Please remember that my point of view is that of a person running a
large number of boxes (100+) under Debian, not a single workstation.

Arrigo

--
Arrigo Triulzi <arrigo@ic.ac.uk>, http://www.ma.ic.ac.uk/~agbt
Mathematics Dept. Imperial College of Science & Technology - London - UK