xterm and xterm-debian

I have a large network of Debian 1.3.1r8 boxes and I am test-upgrading
one of the machines (to see pitfalls and problems before I take the
plunge). The main issue is xterm telling the world it is xterm-debian.

In a single workstation world it is al very well but in a real
university situation I have Suns, DEC alphas etc. all complaining
about the unknown terminal. I cannot go round half the world
(i.e. wherever students and lecturers have accounts) adding
xterm-debian to termcaps and terminfos because a) I don't have
accounts there, b) the number of machines out there is rather large.

Once upon a time I questioned the idea of having kernel-headers
separate from the kernel source and got flamed to death so please
avoid doing it this time round... I accepted the idea when someone
took the pain of explaining the logic as opposed to saying "you don't
understand".

Apart from that the upgrade was almost painless, the main issues being
subtle modification to config files which I did but which clearly are
my responsibility. The autoup.sh script is brilliant, thanks.

Thanks,

Arrigo

--
Arrigo Triulzi <arrigo@ic.ac.uk>, http://www.ma.ic.ac.uk/~agbt
Mathematics Dept. Imperial College of Science & Technology - London - UK