Com port forgetfulness

Ok folks, I'm working on an install after work on a slow modem (needless
to say, this may take a few days).  I've been running into an annoying
problem that I can't figure out.  My modem is on ttyS1, irq7 (I think, it
works at least), and I've configured that in /etc/rc.boot/0setserial.  I
rerun 0setserial and all is well.  However, after I leave it for a few
hours and the modem has hung up (could happen for a variety of reasons),
the irq's are wrong.  Running the last line in 0setserial shows ttyS1 back
on irq 3 I believe.  Anyone have any ideas of why this irq keeps changing
on me?

Thanks,
Brandon