Report on 1998-12-20

Summary Information:
  Name:    Brandon Mitchell
  Date:    1998-12-20
  Source:  ftp://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian/Incoming/
  Method:  3 1/2 Floppy rescue disk and base disks
  Machine: P 90, 16M Ram, 850M+540M HD, Modem 28.8
           Cdrom (ide)
  Result:

Process:
  Used cp to make the floppies.  Ran into the waiting error on modules,
enter worked fine.  Configured apt to use llug(frozen) for use within
dselect.  Over the days it took to download (28.8 that could only be used
at night), I added a few more packages than the stuff in the custom
package group section.  Did a dialup with little trouble, and even got X
running in a very short time.

Notes:
  Some more descriptions for the modules would be nice, but maybe you are
waiting of the translations to catch up.  I like the status bar on the
floppy reading section.  Small nit-pick: top of the window is messed up in
the custom package category screen.  Dselect didn't register changes to
package list and only wanted to remove pcmcia-cs.  I needed to run
"update-modules force" to successfully remove pcmcia-cs.  I also had to go
through the "select" step despite the meta-package tool's note that I
didn't need to do this step.  There were some 404 errors from the
packages.gz file being out of date.  I wish there was a perfect solution
to this.  My modem hung up for some reason over night, but I didn't want
to dial again in the morning.  I reran setserial to give it the strange
irq that it has and all was better again.  There was a util-linux -> slang
unsatisified depends (supposidly fixed already), so I put util-linux on
hold.  Over the day or two that it took to download, the util-linux
problem was fixed.  I had to give up on non-us for now.  Also, my problem
with my modems irq changing seems to have stopped.  All and all, this was
a quick and relatively painless install.  Even got X running after I
forgot to save my XF86Config (oops).

Looking good folks,
Brandon

| Brandon Mitchell * bhmit1@mail.wm.edu * http://bhmit1.home.ml.org/ |
|  Sometimes you have to release software with bugs. - MS Recruiter  |