Re: DebConf13.ch

Hi there!

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 09:54:37 +0200, Giacomo Tenaglia wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Giacomo A. Catenazzi <cate@debian.org> wrote:
>> Few years ago I spoked about DebConf to one friend of me, which is also
>> a MySwitzerland event organizer. She told me that MySwitzerland will
>> help us organizing such event (in facts she regularly ask me if we are
>> ready to bid it).

Good, can you please add her/them to the loop and point her/them to
Moray's call for bids and relative links [1]?

[1] <http://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/CAHWF6ZOMtoeH8vDE=1y03qwhOWEVp4BHMy2V6F4ROw2Te9kJNg%40mail.gmail.com>

> for the venue I could check with CERN Debian users (mostly a few
> groups in IT) whether it could be possible to have it here at CERN.

IIRC there are a few DDs at CERN [2]: can someone add them to the loop,
too?  Or at least notity them of our intentions, so we can have a
contact point there.

[2] <http://www.cern.org/>

Please note, however, that I see both one big advantage and one big
disadvantage with CERN: the former is that we will be where the WWW as
we know today was born, the latter is that, despite being now directly
connected by tram to the center of the city (line 18 [3]), it take at
least 20 minutes to arrive there.  And looking for a dormitory nearby
would mean not being near the lake...

[3] <http://www.tpg.ch/fr/ligne18>

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 06:09:53 +0200, Thomas Koch wrote:
> I'm definitely interested to help making the 20th anniversary happen in a
> region with good coffee, gastronomy and organization! I'd however also support
> any bid in other german speaking regions. (No offense intended.)

No problem, I guess that you are not the only one in this situation ;-)

> Is it possible to organize a cheap conference in high prizy Switzerland?

I do not think a DebConf must be cheap by default, and let me explain.

The conference should be sustainable by itself, which means that the
more it costs the more we should find money/sponsors.  But once we have
all the money needed, from an *organization* POV it does not matter if
the conference is in an expensive country or not.  OTOH, it is clear
that having it in Switzerland would mean that activities in RL not
linked to the conference itself are limited given their cost.  Again, I
see no reason to step back because of that, given that we had a DebConf
in NYC [4], actually not the cheapest city in the world (if not cheaper
than Genève or Zürich at least at the same level).

Obviously, I would like to have a DebConf in Genève.  However, in case
we go on I would support *any* Swiss city, obviously knowing that I do
not speak any German and thus I could help less ;-)

Why Genève?  A quick note says that it is of a strategic importance at
various level: AFAIK the UN office [5] there is the one where the
largest number of countries are represented (more than NYC or Wien) and
there are other important international organization which the Free
Software world is in directly "contact" with (like ISO [6] or the
UN-founded ITU [7]) or not (the ICRC [8]).

[4] <http://debconf11.debconf.org/>
[5] <http://www.unog.ch/>
[6] <http://www.iso.org/>
[7] <http://www.itu.int/>
[8] <http://www.icrc.org/>

It is unfortunate, however, that recently the City of Genève decided to
completely abandon OpenOffice.org [9].

[9] <http://www.20min.ch/ro/news/geneve/story/15007488>

I will organize a meeting with the debian.ch cabal (even if there is no
cabal) here at DebConf11 (bcc:ed) and then prepare the (sort of) bid on
the DebConf wiki.  Please continue the discussion here and do not be
shy, if we really want a DebConf in Switzerland.

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca