Re: Debian USB sticks

n<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
Hi Xavier!

Very good idea, thank you for having brought it up to this list :-D

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 14:56:01 +0200, Xavier Oswald wrote:
> Lot of people asked me this year about debian dvd and cd. But as most computer
> nowadays can boot usb key, I want to work on having usb sticks with the debian
> swirl on it and have for the next release, a bootable d-i squeeze system on them.

Are these USB sticks for sale or a gift?  In the former case, please
note that it could be quite difficult to estimate how many people would
like to *buy* them.  In the latter case, well, we are going to loose
quite a lot of money ;-)

> So Im wondering if you have contact or such to achieve this.
>
> Some possibilities are:
>  - buy usb sticks and have a separated swirl I can paste on them.

This is easier, since we already have the small plain swirl: its size is
23.5 x 30.0 mm, <http://debian.ch/merchandise/>, and we can produce an
even smaller version if needed.

The major drawback of this approach is that the foilsticker could go
away with use (this is what happened to the one on my Openmoko
FreeRunner).

>  - buy usb sticks with swirl on them which could be done by a
>    constructor/vendor.

I can ask the company producing our T-Shirts/foilstickers if they know
someone, but at least two questions remain:

1) how many pieces?
2) which size in MB/GB?  I would assume something around 1GB should be
   enough (~25MB for the d-i image plus ~700MB for the full first-CD
   image)

> I will do myself the fact of having the sticks bootable with squeeze d-i and
> probably multiarch.

Is it possible to have multiarch on a USB stick?  I have never read
anything about it, only for CDs, but I would be more than happy to have
it as well!

BTW, may I suggest a sort of Debian tool to prepare the bootable sticks?
     Thus, when someone needs a new d-i version it would be just a
     question of `apt-get install $PKG; $TOOL $USB_STICK_DEVICE` ;-)

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca