Re: anyone still here?

Hi,

In the article <[🔎] 20040306202816.GB9886@dbz.icequake.net>,
Ryan Underwood <nemesis-lists@icequake.net> wrote:

> > [...I know *@!# about the SH ABI...]
> >
> > If someone makes a decision regarding these issues, sets up some basic
> > SH machines, and gives me a shell account, then I could install buildd,
> > configure it, and get it running; if that happens today (heh, yeah right
> > ;-), we could be building SH binaries by tomorrow. Consider this a
> > standing offer to help out :-)
>
> I think that's what it comes down to.  Someone with the necessary
> knowledge needs to just throw down the gauntlet and say "This is what we
> are doing".  I doubt we are going to get Hitachi to redefine their ABI,
> so we will need to either live with it or do things our own way for the
> sake of practicality.

ABI problem seems not to be easily solved, and there's no hope the
official archive will support any arch of SH.  Since I realized those
facts, I've thought it would be better to set up another package
archive and manager for SH.

I have both SH-3/4 platforms which are capable of running buildd of
sid.  Actually, each of them used to run one for our own package
archive. Not a few number of sh3/sh4 packages were uploaded there.
You can see them at http://debian.dodes.org/.

This archive was built based on the older debarchiver.  I frequently
had to synchronize our archive with offical one to keep the buildd
running.  Day after day I copied dependent packages from binary-all by
hand, and at last I threw up giving in to the painful work.

It would be very nice if we could set up the new package archive and
modern manager (katie) which could automatically mirror the latest
status of sid's pool.

And that experience will greatly help other unfortunate minor
architectures to bootstrap and track sid, for example Debian for PS2
Linux (aka mipsEEel-linux).

Of course I'm glad to provide my machines and some resources for it.

Regards,
--
YAEGASHI Takeshi <t@keshi.org> <takeshi@yaegashi.jp> http://www.keshi.org/