Re: Debian for SuperH bootstrapping

At Sat, 29 Dec 2001 15:36:39 -0700,
Matt Taggart wrote:

> > As the recent discussions in SuperH lists, we should have four
> > different architectures for SuperH, namely sh3, sh4, sh3eb, sh4eb.
> > With this scheme NIIBE Yutaka has maintained the newer deb set seen at
> > ftp://ftp.m17n.org/pub/super-h/testing/debian-011210/.
>
> Is there a large demand for the eb ones? I think sh3 and sh4 should be enough.

I agree, and suppose the project should decide it on the demands, for
which archs they should allocate space in Debian's master repository.
But it's good if we would have tools capable of managing all possible
architectures.

> I still haven't seen a good explaination why sh3/4 need to be separate. I read
> that the ABIs were slightly different but I think I heard somewhere that gcc
> could be made to generate code that works on both. Can someone please point me
> at a good explaination?

Sorry I could not provide enough explaination.  (Niibe?)

It's very difficult for the runtime to handle this kind of ABI
incompatibility; and it's not recommendable to redefine the ABI
because it was defined by Hitachi and has been used by many other
compilers and tools (not GNU) for a long time.

> I recenty bought a Dreamcast system with the intent of playing with this
> stuff. I would like to see this issue resolved quickly.

Exactly.

--
YAEGASHI Takeshi <t@keshi.org> <takeshi@yaegashi.jp> <yaegashi@dodes.org>