Re: Firefox trouble

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 2:41 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On 7/10/20 11:11 PM, Connor McLaughlan wrote:
> > i'm really having trouble to get a recent enough firefox running on
> > debian sparc.
> >
> > I couldn't get firefox to run with the missing libraries taken from
> > snapshots manually.
>
> That's not enough information to help you debug the problem. I always need
> an error message. Normally, a Firefox that managed to build should mostly
> work fine as the Javascript engine is run during build to transpile some
> Javascript code.
>
> > Is there any specific snapshot date that is containing working dependencies?
> If Firefox is installable with the dependencies you pulled without forcing
> dpkg to override dependencies, it should work. If it doesn't, please run
> Firefox from the command line and provide me with the error message.
>
> > Also i could not find the sparc64-specific source patches to firefox anywhere.
> > They are not included in the official patch set.
>
> There shouldn't be any. I upstreamed all patches.

So this is my situation:

First i tried to install firefox and it reported the uninstallable dependencies:

root@SunBlade100:/usr/pkgsrc# aptitude install firefox
  firefox{b} libjsoncpp1{a}
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 87 not upgraded.
Need to get 34.8 MB of archives. After unpacking 152 MB will be used.
 firefox : Depends: libevent-2.1-6 (>= 2.1.8-stable) which is a
virtual package and is not provided by any available package

           Depends: libffi6 (>= 3.0.4) which is a virtual package and
is not provided by any available package

           Depends: libvpx5 (>= 1.6.0) which is a virtual package and
is not provided by any available package

     Keep the following packages at their current version:
1)     firefox [Not Installed]

Then i fetched these dependencies from snapshot, and installed them
together with firefox.
I used these:

https://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian-ports/20170801T005203Z/pool-sparc64/main/libe/libevent/libevent-2.1-6_2.1.8-stable-4_sparc64.deb
https://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian-ports/20160224T140706Z/pool-sparc64/main/libf/libffi/libffi6_3.3%7E20160224-1_sparc64.deb