Re: What is wrong with kernels 5.X on sparc64 ?

On 3/29/20 10:21 PM, Miroslav Zubcic wrote:
> Thank you for this docs pointer. I'm cloning linux.git now and reading
> what is git-bisect option anyway. Looks like I will have to run perl
> script which will find the maintainer of the minor peripheral driver
> "kernel/cpu.c". :-)

Not really necessary. You just use bisect to find the commit which introduced
the regression and then send an email to the sparc-linux Linux kernel
mailing list and CC the author of said commit. Usually the author will
figure out quickly what mistake they made.

> I'm reading now how kernel things are functioning in this decade,
> because apart from two kernels on this sparc in past 2-3 months, I have
> actively compiled kernels 12-15 years ago last time!

Yeah, you basically just have to compile your kernel for debugging these
days.

But it's very simple:

$ git clone https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
$ cd linux
$ git bisect start
$ git bisect good v4.19
$ git bisect bad v5.4

BUILD

Then:

$ cp -av /boot/config-$(uname -r) && yes | make oldconfig
$ make && make modules_install && make install && update-grub # update-grub may not be necessary
$ reboot

If it crashes:

$ git bisect bad

If it works

$ git bisect good

Then jump back to BUILD and repeat until git tells you the bad commit.

> P. S.
> Are there any special options for compiling or pre-configuring kernel
> for debugging in the cases like this? CFLAGS="-g" or something like that?

No. Bisecting doesn't require any debugging. You just build and test kernels
using a bisect algorithm until you found the bad commit.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz