Re: What is wrong with kernels 5.X on sparc64 ?

On 29. 03. 2020. 21:49, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

> Hi!

> You will have to build your kernel from source and boot that, then
> bisect as explained in [1].
>
> This will involve a lot of kernel rebuilds and machine reboots but
> you will eventually figure out what broke the kernel on your
> machine.
>
> Adrian
>
>> [1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/bug-bisect.html

Thank you for this docs pointer. I'm cloning linux.git now and reading
what is git-bisect option anyway. Looks like I will have to run perl
script which will find the maintainer of the minor peripheral driver
"kernel/cpu.c". :-)

I'm reading now how kernel things are functioning in this decade,
because apart from two kernels on this sparc in past 2-3 months, I have
actively compiled kernels 12-15 years ago last time!

P. S.
Are there any special options for compiling or pre-configuring kernel
for debugging in the cases like this? CFLAGS="-g" or something like that?

--
Not every internet quote is true.
	-- Oscar Wilde