Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2019-05-09

On 5/11/19 10:05 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 5/11/19 3:37 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
A few folks from Oracle got back to me and let me know that they don't
have Linux on sparc at all. Period.  Some stupid sales rep just says to
me "yes, sure, we run that !" when in fact he hasn't a damn clue.

That's not correct though.

Here's some proof:

https://oss.oracle.com/projects/linux-sparc/

https://blogs.oracle.com/wim/oracle-linux-6-for-sparc

What's true is that Oracle first poured resources into Linux on SPARC
and later decided to drop it. They even ported things like Valgrind
and Golang to Linux for SPARC (although the latter was initially
ported to Solaris/SPARC).

So there is no Linux on sparc as far as Oracle is concerned. Nobody
gives a damn about Solaris anymore so I don't know what they are smoking
at Oracle but it is very weird stuff to be sure.

You can still download it here:

http://ftp.icm.edu.pl/packages/linux-oracle-sparc/

The Oracle folks I spoke with have zero clue about it. Zero.
Less than zero would be that no one even knows that they still sell
sparc systems and others are just all about the database and cloud
and still others are even more confused. However the company makes
money. Somehow.

dc