Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2019-05-09

On 5/9/19 9:31 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
>>     - Installation over a serial console is currently broken
>>       on sparc64 due to a bug in the rootskel package
>>       (can also be considered a kernel bug), see: #926539.
>>       Use any image before 2019-04-06 as workaround.
>
> Looks like this doesn't affect sun4u machines, at least this ISO worked
> for my v245 using the serial console without any problems. Nice work! :-D

To be clear: This affects machines using the ttyHV serial console driver
that is used for LDOMs. This does not affect machines using other serial
console drivers. It's a bug in the ttyHV driver and I'm still trying to
convince upstream to fix it.

> Just one odd thing: I didn't see any kernel messages when booting from
> the installer disc. I assumed that there might be a `quiet` in the
> kernel command line, but editing the GRUB menu options showed no
> arguments for the kernel command line at all for the "default" option,
> just "boot_one" IIRC.
This is in line with all the other architectures. The GRUB configuration
comes from there. Best would be to read the installation manual for ppc64el
to see if there are any options documented which allow verbose booting.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz