Re: Grub, sparc64, and compressed kernels

Sorry for the chatter on the list, all...

On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 04:14:18PM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:
> Adrian answered some of this before I asked the above questions:
>
> t5120# grub-install /dev/sda1
> Installing for sparc64-ieee1275 platform.
> grub-install: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
> grub-install: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for RAID and LVM install.
> t5120# grub-install --force --skip-fs-probe /dev/sda1
> Installing for sparc64-ieee1275 platform.
> grub-install: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
> grub-install: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for RAID and LVM install.
> t5120#

Okay.  So, I see the above error from grub-install, when running in the
chroot, for both /dev/sda1, _and_ for /dev/sdd1 which worked fine for the
real disks I'm running on, and booted from.  From the full machine, I can
also successfully grub-install onto /dev/sda1 (and /dev/sdb1).  I don't
know why that is different when running in the chroot onto the target area.

Rebooting now, to see if I can load a working grub from disk0, and what
it can load.  Hmm.  Okay, clearly some problems there...

Boot device: disk3  File and args:
[halt sent]

{0} ok boot disk0
Boot device: /pci@0/pci@0/pci@2/scsi@0/disk@0  File and args:
GRUB Loading kernel...
ERROR: /pci@0/pci@0/pci@2/scsi@0: Last Trap: Illegal Instruction

{0} ok boot disk1

Boot device: /pci@0/pci@0/pci@2/scsi@0/disk@1  File and args:
GRUB Loading kernel....
error: unable to open /pci@0/pci@0/pci@1/pci@0/pci@1/pci@0/usb@0,2/hub@4/device@
4/st.
UNKNOWN DEVICE: ieee1275//pci@0/pci@0/pci@2/scsi@0/disk@3\,0:a
ERROR: /pci@0: Last Trap: Fast Data Access MMU Miss

{0} ok boot disk0

Boot device: /pci@0/pci@0/pci@2/scsi@0/disk@0  File and args:
GRUB Loading kernel...
ERROR: Last Trap: Illegal Instruction

{0} ok

So, I fear some of this is based on the fact that I'm running grub-install
into raid filesystems that are mounted as a RAID1, but I'm sticking things
into them at the same time.  Or maybe it's more complicated, but the fact
that I'm writing into the raw partitions under an md RAID certainly seems
of concern.  :-/

Again, let me know any thoughts.  Thanks.

            - Chris