Re: Grub, sparc64, and compressed kernels

On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 05:46:18PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Hi Chris!
>
> Any reason why you aren't just using the normal Debian procedure to setup
> and install GRUB?

Well, IIRC, because it wasn't working for me.  But, I must admit, I'm not 100%
sure I tried that on the simple disk.  I know I was having no luck getting it
installed on md0 when I tried, and eventually punted back to trying on sdd
just to get something working.  I am no longer 100% sure I hadn't already
switched to trying https://github.com/esnowberg/grub2-sparc/ before that.

> Debian stores its kernel compressed by default and I don't see how this is
> supposed to be a problem. All SPARCs that we have installed with Debian
> for sparc64 are using the grub2 package from Debian with a compressed
> kernel.

It sounds from Eric like the grub I built from him doesn't want to deal with
gzip.  But the one shipping (2.02+dfsg1-4) does?  Well, easy enough to try
that on the same disk to see.  But, I presume I will face the same problem
with it not being willing to install onto md0.  I'll face that later.

Back shortly with data on Debian's grub 2.02+dfsg1-4 results.

- Chris