Re: sparc64 debian netboot chicken and egg

On 05/14/2018 08:37 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:

> Looking at https://wiki.debian.org/Sparc64#Network_booting it says :
>
>     "If you already have a working installation of Debian GNU/Linux
>       Sid for sparc64"
>
> nope.
>
> So this is chicken and egg here.

This is neither official documentation nor did I write this. It's also not
the ultimate answer. These instructions just describe one way of setting
up GRUB for netboot.

Please don't assume that everything on the Debian wiki is of official
character. The wiki is a product of contributors from the community and
they don't necessarily know everything when writing such a document.

You are very much invited to help improving this documentation though.

> ps: Oracle Linux won't install on anything that isn't a T-class unit or
>      newer M-class gear.  pita.

Oracle Linux is compiled for sun4v, so lots of classical 64-bit SPARC
machines are not usable.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz