Re: Ultra5 successful install - PGX64 issues

As I don't have any M-class gear myself, I have to rely on the info given in the mailing list threads mentioned on [1]. Though it will never hurt to try again if you have the hardware, as the threads were already from late 2017 and 2015 respectively. Things might be different now, although I have my doubts.

[1]: https://wiki.debian.org/Sparc64#Installing_the_Debian_SPARC64_Port

Never hurts to try.  At most, a coffee pot may be needed.

Or does one need to do a cross compile from some other platform of a kernel?

No I don't think so. I believe support for Fujitsu's SPARC64 processors and accompanying chipsets is just missing in the Linux kernel currently.

Well damn.  I have both M3000 and M4000 gear as well as many many older
sparc type units.  I think I should grab an old old unit and try there
first as those chips and motherboards have been around forever.

Dennis