Re: debian-9.0-sparc64-NETINST-1.iso (rel 2018-02-16T23:09:00) Networking issues on Blade 150

Hi Jerome,

On 02/21/2018 08:39 PM, Jerome Ibanes wrote:
* Is there a chance that your local DHCP setup is not working properly?
I highly doubt it, as it works well for another operating system on
this blade, although after the dhcp client failure from the installer,
I chose the option to setup the ip address manually, but it was unable
to succeed doing so.

What does your DHCP server log when you're trying the IP auto-configuration from the installer? Compare it with what happens when this is done on Solaris.

Do you think the nvram swap caused this issue, and should I reprogram
the chip to its former mac address?

No, not really, I actually expect it to work with any MAC address, although it could make problems to use a MAC address not from Sun's MAC address blocks, but that's not the case for you. I just wondered about the how. :-)

But you could give it a try, of course. While there's no mkp/mkpl in v4.x OBP, it could work using the description on [1]. Also the Sun NVRAM/hostid FAQ ([2]) mentions this method. But I haven't tried this yet for myself, so no guarantee that it will work.

[1]: https://github.com/MrSparc/idprom-repair
[2]: http://www.obsolyte.com/sunFAQ/faq_nvram.html#arcane

But maybe it's not worth the effort to go back to the original MAC address if the machine works well with Solaris.

Did you reset the OBP environment vars after you installed the new NVRAM into your Blade 150? If it was programmed in another Sun machine (not a Blade 150 but e.g. a Sun Enterprise 250), it could contain garbage from the other machine.

Cheers,
Frank