Re: systemd again

Hi,

>On 01/02/2016 10:22 PM, Ulrich Teichert wrote:
>> For reasons, see [1] for example, but I'm sorry to stirr this all up
>> again on this ML, where all people are tired of the discussion,
>
>Yes, I'm tired of this as well because it always boils down to "I don't
>like change" but change is inevtitable when it comes to software.

Having been in the software business for 20 years (yeah, I'm old... ;-)
I've seen and embraced change for some time. Some changes were for the
worse and have been reverted later, though. Others have petered out
or have been replaced with other changes or are still in use. That's live.

>There is no reasonable argument against systemd and similar systems
>which is why all major operating systems have shifted to something
>like systemd, be it Solaris (SMF), OSX (launchd) or Linux (systemd).

Actually, I tend to disagree here. I'm arguing against systemd
specifically, not against similar solutions. I think it's telling that
Oracle and Apple both have invented their own solutions. I don't
know why, but I know that systemd is not portable by design, which I
think is an argument against it.

>And even the often cited FreeBSD developers actually agree on that
>systemd moves into the right direction and FreeBSD will eventually
>also jump the bandwagon:
>
>https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2nhkx9/freebsds_jordan_hubbard_sees_need_for_a_modern/
>
>Allowing choice for something fundamental as the init daemon requires
>lots of maintanenace effort and people can't really expect developers
>to spend that effort when there is no real gain in the end.

Again, I disagree, as there is something to gain which would be very
valuable for me. But after all, everything wrt systemd yes/no has
already been said and I dislike the violence involved in the discussion.
People on both sides have overstepped the limit and the good old way of
rational compromise on both sides won't happen, sadly. And as there
won't be a merge of systemd with upstart/OpenRc/whatever I search for
an alternative. I still have hope for changes to happen ;-)

>But anyway, please don't start flamewars here.

Wasn't my intention,

CU,
Uli
--
Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: Ulrich.Teichert@gmx.de | Listening to:
Stormweg 24               |Imperial State Electric, The Estranged,