Re: systemd again

Ulrich Teichert wrote:

Actually, I tend to disagree here. I'm arguing against systemd
specifically, not against similar solutions. I think it's telling that
Oracle and Apple both have invented their own solutions. I don't
know why, but I know that systemd is not portable by design, which I
think is an argument against it.

Two observations, without wanting to extend this.

i) Despite being based on systemd, Jessie will generally execute scripts in /etc/init.d if installed using update-rc.d However there's also "cruft" in there (and in /etc/default) which is never touched, this can complicate faultfinding.

ii) Disabling NetworkManager on server and deskside machines eliminates a lot of the problems that systemd is routinely blamed for.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk