Re: elfutils and libgc FTBFS

    >> https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=elfutils&arch=sparc64&ver=0.163-5.1&stamp=1447504203
    >

    > force -fPIC instead of -fpic?

    I'm not sure whether I understand the difference. Are those different
    compiler options?

Yes.  -fPIC shall be used when the size of the GOT section is bigger
than 4kb.

I recently fixed many sparc64 issues in upstream elfutils, which are
included in the latest released version 0.164.

The relevant commits in git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/elfutils.git are:

1ed7195 libelf: use the right size when preading in[0].sh_size
bc11907 Do not rely on ebl_check_special_section when checking debuginfo files.
f17d101 Use seek+read instead of pread to read from /dev/$$/mem files.
0e3ce39 sparc: support for the check_object_attribute ebl hook.
6a20e20 Use -fPIC instead of -fpic when generating PIC code.
133509f Use -fPIC instead of -fpic when generating PIC code.
2284375 sparc: fix the extraction of relocation IDs from r_type fields.
ee00afb sparc: add some missing relocation types.

You may want to backport these fixes to whatever elfutils version you
are using in Debian.