Re: Sparc32 Love?

Hello,

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 10:56:31AM +0100, BERTRAND Joël wrote:
> Knut Petter Ølberg a écrit :
> >Really a pitty, as I would really like to continue to run a updated
> >debian ldom on my T5140 (sorry about offtopic with regards to sparc32).
> >I guess the problem here wasn't really access to hardware but lack of
> >manpower to do the porting?
> 	Of course, porting is difficult due to lack of manpower, lack of sparc64
> arch knowledge, lack of documentation and lack of hardware. To port Linux
> (or NetBSD or all other OS to sun4u/us/v), Oracle has to support this effort
> and Oracle does not.

I'd like the 64 bit Ultrasparcs with a rsc also very much, but current kernels
don't load the qla2xxx (on V880) driver any more and debian's wheezy kernel
is unstable on the E250's, so I have to use a newer kernel there.

Otherwise wheezy runs fine and could be even installed via netbooting
if you find the right netboot image (discussed that issue as bug report
with a debian guy but even on the common amd64 arch there seemed to be no
will to automate the process around providing the right installer
modules for the provided netboot images).

In summary debian sparc will end with wheezy also here.

Just my 2cents...
Greetings
  Hermann

--
Netzwerkadministration/Zentrale Dienste, Interdiziplinaeres
Zentrum fuer wissenschaftliches Rechnen der Universitaet Heidelberg