Re: Sparc32 Love?

BERTRAND Joël wrote:
Mark Morgan Lloyd a écrit :

There are quite simply too many components that won't work any more,
starting off with recent versions of GCC which don't support 32-bit
SPARC, moving on to the kernel and various middleware libraries which
are picky about the version of GCC they require, and so on.

I use a gcc 4.9.2 on a sparc32 running NetBSD or on a Leon4 evaluation board running Linux. Recent gcc can build sparcv7 or v8 binaries without any trouble.

"As of tonight, there is no more SPARC in testing. The main reasons were
lack of porter commitments, problems with the toolchain and continued
stability issues with our machines." http://lwn.net/Articles/596663/

" # Sparc32 support was dropped after Debian 4.0 (etch)
# sparc64 is in poor shape in Debian 7 (wheezy) and will not be included in later releases" https://wiki.debian.org/PortsSparc

If you see anything to the contrary you need to look carefully at the publication date, and to make sure that it's referring to the current "mixed mode" SPARC Linux implementation (i.e. 64-bit kernel with 32-bit userland) rather than to a revived all-64-bit port.

In practical terms I think that Debian's been "holding the baby" for some years, accumulating bug reports but getting very little cooperation from upstream developers.

It's also worth noting that Oracle are dragging their feet over SPARC Linux, apparently preferring to get people onto Solaris.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk