Re: Ultra-5 freezing

BERTRAND Joël wrote:
Mark Morgan Lloyd a écrit :
Aaro Koskinen wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 09:41:09PM +0200, BERTRAND Joël wrote:
BUT : for several months, Linux/Sparc64 is unfortunately not stable
anymore
(or completely broken). After 2.6.35 kernel, I can see random
deadlock on
all my sparc64 (sun4v _and_ sun4u). Now, I run NetBSD or Solaris 10. But
FreeBSD and OpenBSD run fine also.

I have Ultra 5 in active use. It used to suffer from random
hard lockups/hangs, but those issues disappeared with recent Linux
mainline kernels (I think after 3.12 or so).

I had a stack of Netras which I set up with Wheezy, can't remember the
kernel version. One or more would predictably lock up shortly after
06:30 GMT Sunday, I suspect this was connected with logrotate rollover.
I reverted to Lenny with a 2.6 kernel and they're rock-solid.

And I think you haven't tried to use Linux on sun4v. I have a stack of Txxxx, and they randolmy crash. One of my T1000 cannot boot recent kernel (after 2.6.30 as LSI SAS driver is particulary broken), but with the _same_ hardware all other ones runs (not fine, but run) with 2.6.38. 3.x are broken and only boot with 1 thread (!). I haven't tested kernel after 3.14.

I have very little intention of trying it. I've spent a high proportion of my time right through the Spring and Summer trying to find combinations of hardware and software that work, and I'm about up to here ^ with it.

I have sent patches to official linux/sparc64 maintainer without any result on sparc32 and sparc64. I have done a lot of bug reports on sparc

The last version which is anywhere near acceptable is Lenny, and even that has problems. Apart from project-specific stuff like the installer, the real issue is that Debian bugs can't be bucked upstream because upstream developers no longer have Sun hardware. An ancillary problem is that Sun was really only interested in Linux at the application level, which is why they've never really helped get things like fan control and temperature monitoring sorted out: they expected that to be handled by Solaris, with Linux running as a virtualised guest OS.

kernel mailing list. I think linux is unfortunately dead on sparc, sparc64, mips... In fact on all archs but i386, amd64 and arm.

MIPS isn't doing too badly. Keep an eye open for the C120 demonstrator board.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk