Ultra-5 freezing

hi i have an Ultra-5 which has been housed in a datacenter for several
years.  It used to be running SunOS 5.9 and i didn't experience any
problems with it.  As that OS became obsolete, I installed Wheezy on the
box not too long ago but now am experiencing hard freezes with no info
in the system log as to what is happening.  how can i troubleshoot?  is
it a software/OS/kernel issue?  i did a barebones installation, not
selecting any "roles" for the computer and have installed all software
as needed (mainly openssh server), so it is a very slim installation.
is it a recent hardware failure?  how can i test RAM and other hardware,
for example?

i have another sun server in the same datacenter and i was looking to
link the two boxes between their serial ports; perhaps i can see more
info on the console when the freezes happen.  problem is i am not too
good at figuring out how to wire such a link.  The Ultra-5 has a DB9
port and the other server has an RJ45 port, and i have an Avocent Sun
DB9-RJ45 adapter made to be used with their Cyclades serial port server
which is what i used to have the Ultra-5 connected to, but the Cyclades
is gone now so i'm trying to link it to my other server.  i started a
discussion about this in the Avocent forums[1]

 thanks

1.
http://community.emerson.com/networkpower/support/avocent/f/105/t/4124.aspx