Re: Ultra-5 freezing

Mark Morgan Lloyd a écrit :
Aaro Koskinen wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 09:41:09PM +0200, BERTRAND Joël wrote:
BUT : for several months, Linux/Sparc64 is unfortunately not stable
anymore
(or completely broken). After 2.6.35 kernel, I can see random
deadlock on
all my sparc64 (sun4v _and_ sun4u). Now, I run NetBSD or Solaris 10. But
FreeBSD and OpenBSD run fine also.

I have Ultra 5 in active use. It used to suffer from random
hard lockups/hangs, but those issues disappeared with recent Linux
mainline kernels (I think after 3.12 or so).

I had a stack of Netras which I set up with Wheezy, can't remember the
kernel version. One or more would predictably lock up shortly after
06:30 GMT Sunday, I suspect this was connected with logrotate rollover.
I reverted to Lenny with a 2.6 kernel and they're rock-solid.

And I think you haven't tried to use Linux on sun4v. I have a stack of Txxxx, and they randolmy crash. One of my T1000 cannot boot recent kernel (after 2.6.30 as LSI SAS driver is particulary broken), but with the _same_ hardware all other ones runs (not fine, but run) with 2.6.38. 3.x are broken and only boot with 1 thread (!). I haven't tested kernel after 3.14.

I have sent patches to official linux/sparc64 maintainer without any result on sparc32 and sparc64. I have done a lot of bug reports on sparc kernel mailing list. I think linux is unfortunately dead on sparc, sparc64, mips... In fact on all archs but i386, amd64 and arm.

	Regards,

	JKB