Sparc status ?

Reading the 2 or 3 warning from from debian-devel-announce,
I'm afraid that the sparc architecture is going legacy the same way that it did for the hppa.
What could it be done to keep this architecture as a first class citizen ?

If I understood correctly, the debian port of debian is on watch and should improve or it'll be removed from testing,
which would be unfortunate.

What could be done to improve the situation of this port ?
Is the sparc architecture no more relevant to modern computing ?

I'm willing to dedicate a share of my time or hardware if there's something to be done.

Cheers

S. Bernard