Re: Sparc status ?

On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 02:02:31AM +0200, Sébastien Bernard wrote:
> Reading the 2 or 3 warning from from debian-devel-announce,
> I'm afraid that the sparc architecture is going legacy the same way
> that it did for the hppa.
> What could it be done to keep this architecture as a first class citizen ?
>
> If I understood correctly, the debian port of debian is on watch and
> should improve or it'll be removed from testing,
> which would be unfortunate.
>
> What could be done to improve the situation of this port ?
> Is the sparc architecture no more relevant to modern computing ?
>
> I'm willing to dedicate a share of my time or hardware if there's
> something to be done.

I'd guess skilled hacker time is more needed than hardware.
Reading https://release.debian.org/jessie/arch_qualify.html ,
it seems major blocking issues are: "Using gcc-4.6 as default compiler"
and "Have to run oldstable kernels".  Related to this: only 1 porter,
only partial upstream support.

Bye,

Joost - who'd _love_ to have a fully supported Debian on sparc