Re: xorg video modes question

On 02/16/2013 04:19 PM, Fred wrote:
On 02/13/2013 09:04 AM, Hartwig Atrops wrote:
Hi Fred.

The monitor is now running at 1280x1024.  I am using the openbox window
manager. The display is way bigger that the LCD and when an application
is minimized the icon goes way off the screen and I can't get it back.
Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Monitor        "Sun-x7205a"
    DefaultDepth    16
    SubSection    "Display"
        Depth    16
        Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768"
#        Depth    24
#        Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768"
        Virtual    1280 1024
#xdm won't run if depth is set to 24
    EndSubSection
EndSection
Just a guess: you're running at less than 1280x1024.

You should check the log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log). The actual resoulution is
logged there.

Regards,

    Hartwig

Hello,
Screensaver or not is really ok with me but are there any more suggestions that might solve my display problem? I am reasonably sure the LCD is running at 1280x1024. Does anyone know specifically how openbox is told the display size to use? I could then ask on the sparc-debian mailing list how to find out if this is working correctly. (Debian 6.0 on Sun Ultra5/10 with Sun x7205a LCD)

I have three other questions about openbox:

What is a "docking application" as discussed in the documentation?

What is the difference between using openbox or openbox-session to start openbox? I don't think the documentation is very clear on this.

What is the difference between starting some applications through .Xsession before openbox is started vs. having openbox start them?

Best regards,
Fred

Hello,
There has been some progress! I tried running openbox-session but had some problems and restored .xsession to openbox. The windows now have resistance at the monitor edges and when windows overlap. Both are programmable in $HOME/.config/openbox/rc.xml so we can say openbox knows the display size and the problem is the openbox routines that decide where to park icons when they are minimized. Any ideas? I previously asked for help on the openbox mailing list and was told it is an xorg problem but I think it is a problem with openbox compiled for Debian-sparc. However, I will ask again on the openbox mailing list.
Best regards,
Fred