Re: powerbutton

Howard Eisenberger wrote:
On 2012-03-29, mlsparc@mailserver.ipstatico.net wrote:

I've installed debian 6 stable on an old sparc sun ultra5

if I type:
halt
or shutdown -h now
or init 0

all works fine

If I try to shutdown using the powerbutton, the computer will go off but a lot of errors appear on the screen before going off

How could I resolve the problem?

I've had an ultra5 and ultra10 for years and always used halt, etc.
I never considered using the powerbutton to shutdown. Anyway, I
tried it on my ultra10 running wheezy and it got as far as
"...Stoping disk
Asking all remaining processes to terminate..."
and hung there without shutting off until I cut the power.
When I powered the machine back on, it said that the disk wasn't
cleanly unmounted, did a fsck, and carried on.
This machine has a SCSI controller and drive.

I've switched to using poweroff rather than shutdown at the end of a session, since it works reliably on both SPARC Linux and Solaris, and on most PCs.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk