Re: Sparc 6.0.3: multiple Nautilus file manager process after few minutes from fresh install

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 11:37:08AM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Jurij Smakov wrote:
> >On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 04:18:50PM +0100, Alexander Feld wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>I also got this bug. This is the reason, why I am still using Lenny on my SPARC-systems. The SPARC-version of Squeeze is really buggy and nearly unusable. Other applications have similar problems. For example, Iceweasel segfaults very often and KDE doesn't load the panel. I still hope, that the next Debian release on SPARC will be better. I can't believe, that such a buggy SPARC release as Squeeze was released as "stable".. :(
> >
> >Bugs only have a chance of getting fixed if they are reported.

> >>I'm sorry, this won't help, the package is buggy. Use Lenny instead and hope, that Wheezy will be better.
> >
> >Hoping will not make it better. Good bug reports (with patches, if
> >possible) might.
>
> Certainly. For sure. No problem. And how long did it take Debian to
> sort out the known issue that screwed local X on a U1 etc? My
> understanding is that it /had/ been bug reported, and was generally
> believed to have been fixed in either the kernel or X, but it quite
> simply didn't get onto the Lenny CD or into the repositories
> resulting in a number of people who asked in this ML how to get
> their machines running and were basically told that they couldn't.
>
> Quite frankly, I gave up trying to work out detailed fixes for
> things- which is much more difficult for an outsider than it is for
> core developers- after I described my hack to get SMP working
> reliably on an SS1000E and came very close to being flamed by DM who
> didn't like one of my assumptions.

I understand and sympathize with your frustration, as I've been in the
same boat more than once. The situation with wheezy release, however,
is quite simple: there is a list of bugs which release managers
consider release-critical (updates and stats are posted weekly on
planet.debian.net):

http://udd.debian.org/bugs.cgi?release=wheezy&patch=&pending=&security=ign&wontfix=&upstream=&unreproducible=&forwarded=&claimed=&deferred=&notmain=ign&notwheezy=ign&base=&standard=&merged=ign&done=&outdatedwheezy=&outdatedsid=&needmig=&newerubuntu=&fnewer=&fnewerval=7&rc=1&sortby=source&sorto=asc&cpopcon=1&cseverity=1&ctags=1

There are currently 4 sparc-specific bugs there. For each of them I've
either provided a fix or what I consider sufficient amount of
debugging information for maintainer to do something useful with. If
these bugs would get magically fixed overnight, from sparc point of
view this would be a green light for release to proceed.

Obviously, assuming that those are the only 4 RC bugs affecting sparc
would be very naive. But if people do not bother reporting them, we'll
never take any action, and release will proceed, again leading to
complaints along the lines of "I can't believe this buggy stuff was
deemed a stable release". And if the port does not have enough users
reporting bugs even against the most common desktop environment to the
point that it turns out to be hopelessly broken, maybe it's time to
consider retiring it.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org