Re: debian fails in a Sun t5220 server

jurij, it worked
now i get the terminal on ttys0
thank u so much

2011/5/8 Eduardo Cruz <eduardohmdacruz@gmail.com>
I'll try that, thanks.
But one thing I noticed is that when I try to ping/ssh the machine by its hostname, I get no response.
I don't know which ip it got to try to ping directly by the ip, but as I said, through the hostname doesn't work.

2011/5/8 Jurij Smakov <jurij@wooyd.org>
On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 04:22:31PM -0300, Eduardo Cruz wrote:
> Hello, I am trying to get the most recently debian testing release to work
> in a Sun T5220 server.
> The processor is a niagara t2.
> Ubuntu doesn't even boot the kernel of the install CD. I get an illegal
> instruction error.
> However, Debian-testing installs  fine.
> After installation, it boots successfully from hardisk, I hit ENTER in silo
> menu, and it loads debian.
> But at the end of the boot, after loading the ssh server and mta, the system
> suddenly freezes, without any error messages. It doesn't even show the login
> terminal.
> Do you have any ideias of what is happening?

Yes, probably what's happening is that it does not put a tty on a
serial console [0]. The fix is in the works, but it's a bit involved.
In the meantime you can work around the problem by manually modifying
/etc/inittab (or /target/etc/inittab, if you choose to do it from the
installer shell). You should uncomment the following (or similar)
lines, to get a login prompt on the serial console:

#T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100
#T1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 9600 vt100

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2011/03/msg00058.html

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org