Compiling libssl for 64-bit Debian on Sparc

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 6:52 PM, A E [Gmail] <all.eforums@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 10:47 AM, brian m. carlson <sandals@crustytoothpaste.net> wrote:
Whether you'll see any performance improvement is dependent on what the
software does.  Perhaps you will.  There are some cases where I do in my
own code.  In general, though, most people don't.  If you want to build
this software as 64-bit and Debian does not provide 64-bit versions of
those libraries, you'll have to build your own 64-bit copies by hand.
Again, whether there's any performance improvement from doing that is
dependent on the particular programs and libraries.

I just hope like hell right now that in my case also, sparc32 provides if not better, but comparable performance to this application because after 3 days of struggle, I've managed to build it successfully except it's built as " ELF 32-bit MSB executable, SPARC32PLUS" who knows if this will perform better or worse than a 64-bit version *sigh*

Hello All / Brian,

I can't get past this. I managed to compile the whole software platform under 32-bit but when I try to run it, it core dumps. I'm not getting much help from the development community there as Sparc isn't a popular arch or an officially supported platform. I really want to try and see if I can build a 64-bit SSL library. If after that also it doesn't compile or startup and runs stable, then I'll just go to a different platform.

I saw this thread from may 2010: http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2010/05/msg00010.html

He got the same answer that Brian gave me, but I wonder if Ted got this solved or figured out.

Thanks so much. I will really appreciate the help

Cheers