Sun Blade 1000 Fan Control / 64-bit OpenSSL Libraries

Hello,

I recently bought a Sun Blade 1000 on eBay for $150 for my cryptography benchmarking needs. I got Squeeze up and running on it, but have two lingering questions that Google seemed unable to answer.

1) Can I silence the fans? It sounds like a custom kernel can do it, but are there any debian packages and/or configurations that allow me to do it without need of a custom kernel?

2) When I compile using "gcc -mcpu=ultrasparc3 -m64 -lcrypto", there appears to be no appropriate libcrypto installed.

     /usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible (snip) libcrypto.so when searching for -lcrypto

I have libssl-dev installed, which allows me to compile with -m32, but I want 64-bit compiles. Is there a 64-bit version of the libraries in a package somewhere?

Thanks. I'm really thrilled to finally have my own sparc!

-Ted