Re: dazed and confused: install issue on Blade 1000

On Fri, Mar 05, 2010 at 05:33:50PM +0000, Chris Liddell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to get Debian (most recently, the weekly "testing"
> release) installed on my Blade 1000.
>
> Now the install apparently goes fine, no errors or such. But when
> install complete, the machine reboots and throws a "fast data access mmu
> miss" error, and this is before even the "S" of SILO appears.
>
> This is installing on an as nearly blank HDD as I can manage, without
> actually buying a new HDD (I blanked the entire device with dd), and
> using the default "guided partitioning" scheme.
>
> Any suggestions? It's quite frustrating that everything seems to go so
> smoothly, only to conk out at the (almost) final step.

This is a known problem. Kernel 2.6.30 incorrectly reported machine
type to the installer, so SILO was installing incorrect bootloader
(intended for 32-bit machines) during the installation, causing this
boot failure. See the following message:

which includes a workaround for it. It will get fixed automatically
once we get newer kernel for the installer images, daily images might
already have 2.6.32, which should work out of the box.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org
Key: http://www.wooyd.org/pgpkey/                      KeyID: C99E03CC