dazed and confused: install issue on Blade 1000

Hi,

I've been trying to get Debian (most recently, the weekly "testing"
release) installed on my Blade 1000.

Now the install apparently goes fine, no errors or such. But when
install complete, the machine reboots and throws a "fast data access mmu
miss" error, and this is before even the "S" of SILO appears.

This is installing on an as nearly blank HDD as I can manage, without
actually buying a new HDD (I blanked the entire device with dd), and
using the default "guided partitioning" scheme.

Any suggestions? It's quite frustrating that everything seems to go so
smoothly, only to conk out at the (almost) final step.

Thanks,

Chris