Re: UltraSparc 60 install problem - Part 2

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 13:33 +0000, "brian m. carlson"
<sandals@crustytoothpaste.ath.cx> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 05:14:44AM -0800, Willie wrote:
> > I executed a shell and ran some commands:
> >
> > '/target/sbin/silo'
>
> Instead of doing this, try "chroot /target", and then run silo normally.
> Make sure you have all the necessary partitions mounted within /target;
> that is, if you have a specific /boot or /usr, those will need to be
> mounted on /target/boot or /target/usr.
>
> This way, you're using the config file and data that you know will be
> installed on your system, and you won't have to do all that odd copying.
>
> --
> brian m. carlson / brian with sandals: Houston, Texas, US
> +1 713 440 7475 | http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc | My opinion only

Many thanks for this Brian,

It's made me see that I was at fault by not simply making a /boot slice
to avoid the misplacement of the boot files. I've obviously been using
grub/x86 for too long.

I'd still rather install over the network but that's a different
problem. At least I can now execute a perfect install from a CDROM.

However, on first boot:

  "Fast Data Access MMU Miss"

It never rains, but pours... Back to x86 and grub I think.